Benefits of Sports Massage Therapy
By Dawn Morse MSc
What is Sports Massage?
Sports Massage is a type of massage therapy which
Although sports participants benefit from sports massage, this method of massage isn’t restricted to sports participants, as the deep tissue massage techniques can be used to treat a wide variety of conditions, such as:
- Muscular and joint injuries such as sprains and strains,
- Postural related pain,
- Golfers and tennis elbow,
- Repetitive strain injuries,
- Back pain,
Typically, sports massage techniques are fast-paced and incorporate stretching and compression movements. A sports massage therapist will use a variety of deep tissue techniques throughout a treatment which involve longitudinal
These techniques are used to warm the muscle up, to increase local blood circulation and to reduce muscle tension.
Although sports massage therapy treatment can be tailored to the needs of a sports participant who is just about to compete in an event or, who has just completed an event, sports or deep tissue massage can also be used to treat injuries or muscular pain and discomfort, by promoting both physiological and psychological benefits.
Benefits of Sports Massage
The following benefits can be experienced through the application of sports and deep tissue massage techniques:
- Reduction in muscle tension, muscular pain
- Increased range of motion, leading to enhanced performance.
- Decreased muscle stiffness and soreness after exercise or physical activity
- Reduced recovery time post injury
- Increased levels of relaxation and reduction in physical and psychological stress levels
- Aids sleep quantity and quality.
These benefits are largely the result of an increase in local blood circulation which helps to flush out chemical irritants and waste products which have stored up within the muscle. At the same time, fresh blood flow increases oxygen and nutrient content within the muscle. This
Compression techniques can also influence blood flow and nerve reflexes within the muscle, which when stimulated leads to a relaxation effect within the muscle itself.
When a muscle is tight it can irritate nerve receptors within the muscle. This
Reducing muscular tension and increasing
When used to treat a specific injury, massage can help to promote healing, by increasing nutrient and oxygen levels and reducing any excessive swelling associated with injury. Manual massage techniques can also help to align new collagen formation within the muscle, which can lead to
Finally, whether this is a result of a placebo effect (thinking that there should be a change), taking time out for yourself, or from the physical reduction of pain and muscular tension; massage therapy has been found to reduce daily stress and anxiety levels. This
In summary, Sports Massage Therapy has many benefits and can aid sports and fitness participants, people with an active lifestyle or job and those who are experiencing muscular tension and pain
- At Core Elements, we provide Sports Massage Therapy treatment at our Wiltshire based Clinic. To find out more about the treatment offered Click Here
- We also provided Level 3 and 4 Accredited qualifications in Sports and Remedial Massage Therapy. To find out more about our Swindon, Wiltshire based training courses please Click Here